Skeeter's Vanagon/Zetec Conversion

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Installation in an Early Vanagon vs. Late

I'm finding a few differences between the Bostig installation manual and my van. This is a consequence of the fact that there are vastly fewer early Vanagons (1983-85) compared to later ones (1986-1991). There just haven't been that many early van conversions.

Vanagon powerplants (sounds too powerful, maybe I should say 'Gerbil Wheels') come in two flavors. There was the 1.9L Wasserboxer with the Digijet Fuel injection produced from mid-1983 to 1985, and the 2.1L 'boxer with the Digifant FI, from 1986 onwards. It looks like the majority of the Zetec conversions have been done on later models, and the installation directions reflect this. I ran into this dichotomy on the first page of the installation directions when I attempted to remove the engine wiring harness. I could not find the H-shaped connector near the coil that was referred to in the directions. It turns out this has to do with the tachometer, an item also not found on 1.9s (at least not mine). My ignition wire is there, but in a different place. So there are a few differences in how the install will go, depending on what kind of Vanagon you have. I expect that my install will go easier than most for the simple reason that there are fewer wires to connect.

Jim posted a wiring diagram (within a day, as usual... does this guy sleep?!?!) and it shows the two wires I need pretty clearly. I'll look it it tonight and take some photos and post my notes.

Another difference between reality and the installation directions involves power steering. I don't have any! This just gets easier and easier...

So Jim's done a great job of making this a community effort, and in that spirit I will keep good notes and photographs and turn them over to the guys at Bostig to hopefully incorporate in their manual.