Skeeter's Vanagon/Zetec Conversion

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

It's In!

It's in! I (more or less) finished the install yesterday at about 2PM. The motor fired up first try...YEAH!



I'm only having one major problem that appears to be unrelated to the Zetec. The dang thing is overheating and I can't figure out why. I re-checked all the connections and they seem right except for one thing. Jim's manual has the radiator feed as the main coolant line on the driver's side of the two main pipes at the firewall. Bentley shows this as the return however, unless I am reading this wrong. I am not sure if this is my problem or not.

Anyway, the two main coolant hoses get hot, although the one attached to the Zetec thermostat housing gets hotter. Strangely, the coolant hoses up front at the radiator are both cool after overheating which indicates to me that coolant is not flowing to the radiator. Out of curiosity I pulled the hose and, sure enough, no coolant came out of the radiator at all and only a little from the hose. What is going on here!?!?! The only thing I can think of is that maybe the main coolant feed pipe is plugged with sediment or something. The thermostat is working because the hose running off it is getting hot.

Otherwise, the install went very, very smoothly. I had to ream out the flywheel hole a tiny bit with a rotary file to get the torque converter to fit, but it only took two minutes tops, and Jim already knows about this problem. Future flywheels should come milled a hair larger to accommodate 1.9 torque converters which seem to have larger knobs in the t-converter.

Great job Bostig guys, you really did a great job! The engine was packed well for shipping, all the wires and hoses were neatly labeled, etc. I don't think I swore all weekend! It was fun.

I took notes and pictures and will post them later.